Monday, June 16, 2008

Why is it so hard to find organic food near to my house?

I have been so frustrated in my quest to find somewhere closer than Native Sun in Mandarin to buy produce. It is so extremely hard to find everything you are looking for...Native Sun is somewhat far from me and their selection is not bad for a corner market, but if you want a good deal of variety, you might be out of luck! Why can't there be a farmer's market closer to Orange Park?
Another thing that is frustrating...I have never lived anywhere (Utah,California,Arizona,New Mexico)where produce is shrink wrapped!Not only shrink wrapped but onto styrofoam trays. At first it was only conventional produce that I noticed this practice with, but now I am unable to buy organic cukes and squash without the obligatory plastic sleeve...doesn't this just create an incubator for bacteria? I have noticed that supermarkets here in Jax are very nonchalant about keeping the produce cool enough. I have resorted to buying some conventionally raised produce when I cannot find anything that I need that is organic. I have been relying on the Environmental Working Group's list of the worst and the not so bad foods to buy conventionally grown http://www.foodnews.org/fulldataset.php. I can't wait for Whole Foods to open here, as I have always lived close to one until I moved here! They are generally pricey, but no more so than what you find at most places here. They, in my former experiences had most products in a range of prices, so you could splurge and scrimp as needed. Their store brand is of very decent quality overall. I am ramblin' all over here! I am attempting to grow my own organic container tomatoes,mint, cantaloupe,basil and peppers. I started with corn also but it faded on me. This is my first attempt to grow food and I will try to post some pictures of the progress so far!

No comments: