Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Container Veggies are go!

Due to my frustration with the quality and availability of fresh, local organic produce in my area, I have decided to try to grow a few things in some largish pots with very little idea of what I am doing! Here are some pics of my efforts thus far...




Tomatoes





Cantaloupe

I have to say I am amazed by how well the pumpkin and cantaloupe plants are doing as they are both in fairly small containers..So far I have only given them a dose of Plantone organic fertilizer. I haven't used anything for bugs...I haven't really had any to worry about, perhaps when they begin to fruit.... I am determined to used organic solutions! I have noticed some wiggly lines on the leaves indicating some kind of critter, but I just pull the affected leaves off and dispose of them well away from where all the other plants are. I am not having as much luck with my basil, I just can't seem to get it to thrive! Also not working out; corn (don't laugh!), peppers, sunflowers
(again, don't laugh!!).
My mint is doing pretty well. It really doesn't like the heat and the abuse it takes from my 3 year old son!Mint is his favorite flavor and he can't seem to pass it with out pulling leaves off and attempting to eat them!


PumpkinSad corn and peppers(don't laugh!)

No comments: